How will the Winter Recreation Tool be helpful?
- The tool provides information on a number of ski-relevant parameters including the number of ski days, the day of first snow, the date of last snowcover, and the amount of snow that has to be artificially generated to keep a resort open.
- The tool assists with short term as well as long term planning. Planning horizons for this industry range from the upcoming ski season to many decades in the future.
- The tool provides probabilistic information as no forecast can ever be issued with 100% confidence – not even tomorrow’s high temperature forecast is ever really a sure thing. To learn more about the differences between deterministic and probabilistic forecasts and how to interpret the probabilistic output of this tool, go to “How to Use This Tool”
LIST OF THE TOPICS IN THIS SECTION (KEY QUESTIONS)
- How will climate change affect winter recreation in Michigan?
- What was the motivation for doing the study and for developing a tool for downhill skiing?
- How will the Winter Recreation Tool be helpful? (You are here)