How did we decide which variables to include in in the tourism traffic tool?
First, a search was conducted to determine whether the four factors described above were available in quantifiable data sets. A wide variety of historical weather variables, as well as measures of consumer confidence in the U.S. economy, were located. Data sets containing historical gasoline prices and auto ownership costs were also available. However, no good indicator of people’s leisure time was found. The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) provided an extensive data set containing daily counts of vehicles from counters located on roadways across the state.
LIST OF THE TOPICS IN THIS SECTION (TOURISM TRAFFIC KEY QUESTIONS)
- What is tourism?
- What is the tourism traffic tool?
- How can the tourism traffic tool help tourism businesses and destinations?
- How did we develop the tourism traffic tool?
- Which factors are typically believed to have the greatest influence on tourists' behaviors?
- How did we decide which variables to include in in the tourism traffic tool? (You are here)